Get instant support with our search!
How to Send a Simulated Phish in Multiple Languages
We have recently added the ability to send phishing simulations in multiple languages to your users. This update will help to reduce the time and effort required to create simulated phish in multiple languages.
Now, all you need to do is to choose your languages, select your template & Learning Experience, and then, based on your selected users, we will control the sending of the phish in their preferred language.
Follow the steps below to set up a multi-language phish and target this to your users.
- First of all, navigate to Phish>Phish Creation.
The creation process has been structured into 4 steps:
- Step 1 - Phish Details: Information related to the phish & required languages.
- Step 2 - Phish Content: Phish Email to be sent to users & related settings.
- Step 3 - Email Attachments: (Optional) Ability to include an attachment alongside a phish.
- Step 4 - Target: Determine who should receive the phish, and when.
To begin the creation process, populate the following fields:
- Name: Populate the name of the phishing simulation here.
- Choose Language: Select the required language(s) that you wish to include within the simulation.
- Keywords: By default, these are already populated, but you can add your own; once complete, select Enter.
- Description: Add a description of the simulation.
- Save as Test Data: This will omit this phishing simulation from the Phish Reporting. See also: 'Save as Test Data' – What does this do?
- Manage in Campaign: This will allow the phishing simulation to be populated within a Campaign with other content, e.g. Course and Policies.
- Anonymous Responses: Selecting this will anonymise the identity of the users from the Reporting. See also: Anonymise the Phish Reports.
- Categories: A category must be selected. If a category is not available, it will need to be created via How to Create Categories.
Now, select the phish template that will be sent to the targeted users. You only need to choose the template once as the selected template will automatically populate for your additional languages.
- Once you have added your languages, the following screen will appear:
- To select your Phish Template, select a language from the Select Language dropdown. You can choose any language below, and the Phish template selected will be automatically populated for the other languages.
- The screen will now update to display the phish template configuration details:
- Choose Template: Select this option to browse the available phish templates in your selected languages. Only one template can be used; however, it will be translated into your selected languages.
- Attach Form Data: This option can be enabled for phish with an available data form. Enabling this option will test if the targeted user enters any sensitive information.
- Preview/Edit Form: If required, you can Preview & Edit the data form to suit your requirements.
- Email Subject: When a template has been selected, the corresponding 'Email Subject' will be populated. This can be edited if required.
- From Address: When a template has been selected, the corresponding 'From Address' will be populated. This can be edited if required.
- Display Name: When a template has been selected, the corresponding 'Display Name' will be populated. This can be edited if required.
- Template Preview: The selected phish template will appear within this panel for review.
To proceed, select Choose Template and select a phish template.
- The Phish Template Library will now open, and all templates available in your selected languages will be visible.
- Browse through all templates and select your preferred option. Once you click Save and Close, the template will populate within the Phish Content tab.
Your selected email template will be automatically populated for all languages in the dropdown once it has been selected for one language.
The areas highlighted in red can be configured further as required, or alternatively, you can proceed to the next step & select a Learning Experience.
All video Learning Experiences that are available in your selected languages will appear automatically for selection. You can browse through all options and select your preferred video.
- Company Logo: Customise the Learning Experience for the end user by adding your organisation's logo.
- Button Text: Enter the text that will be presented on the 'acceptance' button for each language for the end user.
- Search Learning Experiences: Browse, preview and select from the available videos within the MetaCompliance Learning Experience Library. If a user clicks on the simulated phish, this video will be presented to the user.
Once a Learning Experience has been added, you can proceed to the 'Exit Summary' tab. The information added on this page will be presented to the end user once they watch the video and click the 'acceptance' button.
- Exit Summary: Enter the text that will be presented to the user once they click 'Accept' on the Learning Experience Video. The text must be entered for each language.
- Include Disclaimer: You have the option to enable the Disclaimer if required.
- Disclaimer: If the Disclaimer has been enabled, you can further customise the text if required. The text entered will be added for all languages. Translations are not currently available for this option.
When you have selected your preferred Email Template, Learning Experience, and relevant configuration options, you can proceed to Step 3.
This step is optional and can be used to add an Email Attachment to your phishing simulation.
Using an Email Attachment can help you to determine if the user opts to interact with an untrusted attachment. If a user does proceed to open the attachment, they will be presented with a Learning Experience.
- Includes Attachment: Determine if an attachment should be included in your simulated phish.
- Attachment Type: If enabled, you can choose to use either a Word or HTML email attachment.
- Attachment Name: You can also rename the attachment to help this relate to your Phish Template.
Once the Phishing Template & Learning Experience configuration has been completed, you can proceed to determine the 'send time' and also select the users who should receive the phishing simulation.
- UTC: Select your preferred time zone.
- Start Date: Select the start date & time for when the email should begin sending.
- End Date: Select the end date & time for when the email should stop sending.
- Random Targeting: This option can be used to request the system to select users at random to receive the simulated phish, based on the percentage you have entered. (Optional)
- Stagger: This option allows you to choose if the emails should send between set hours & on specified days. (Optional)
- Delivery Hours: Choose the hours within which you require the emails to be sent.
- Delivery Days: Choose the days between which you require the emails to be sent.
- Users & Groups: Select the users or groups that should be sent the phishing simulation.
Once all relevant options and fields have been populated, you can now proceed to Save or Publish the phish.
As a preferred language has been logged for all users, you do not need to identify which users should receive which language.
Further information on how the preferred language has been logged can be found here - Can Users Add Their 'Preferred Language' to MyCompliance? – MetaCompliance.
Based on the languages you have selected for the phish template, and the users you have selected to be targeted, the system will automatically organise and send the phish emails to the users in their set preferred language.
We recommend that all phishing simulations are initially tested amongst a pilot group of users to ensure all information is tracked correctly regarding 'opens', 'clicks' & 'data entry'.
For the phish simulations that your users interact with, you can view which users receive which language via the Phish Overview report.
Exclusions apply for this functionality; however, they will shortly be made available in the next version.
- Multi-language phishing emails cannot use multiple different templates; only the one template in your selected languages can be used.
- Only MetaCompliance Video Learning Experiences can be used within a phishing simulation. You cannot currently upload your own Learning Experience to be used within a multi-language phishing simulation.
- If using a Word email attachment, this will appear as 'English only' for the end user.
- Attachments used within a simulation can only be configured in one language.
- If none of the preferred language population methods can be used, it is only the end user who can update this manually. Administrators currently cannot update the preferred language for users.